Here’s the latest on our storm response:
1. There is a major water main break at Upham and Rowe. Some DPW staff is being diverted to that water main break.
2. Overnight, we are going to a split shift due to the fact that most crews have been working for almost 30 hours straight, thus creating safety issues for drivers. However there will be staff working throughout the night.
3. The full DPW staff of 75 vehicles will reassemble tomorrow morning at 6 a.m. for major snow operations, which will include re-plowing all streets, widening side streets, and hauling snow from dead ends.
4. The second primary challenge tomorrow is to remove snowbanks from corners and intersections. There are thousands of corners and intersections in the city. We understand that it is very hard to get on major streets due to the size of these snowbanks. That is unavoidable at this time. It will take a longer period of time to remove this snow. That is why we are asking individuals to travel only when necessary and to use extreme caution. This is a multi-day cleanup.
5. After that, we will begin snow removal at schools, approved sidewalk routes, and adjacent areas.
6. When we widen the side streets to get to catch basins and hydrants, it will push some snow back onto sidewalks and driveways. Our DPW understands this is frustrating for some people, but this is the only way to accomplish public safety and avoid potential flooding, since major rain is in the forecast next week. The streets also need to be cleared to allow on-street parking for the rest of the winter. Without widening side streets, on-street parking would have to be limited or banned. DPW asks for your patience and cooperation in this historic storm.
7. Another challenge is removing snow from some areas altogether. That removal takes a much longer time because of the manpower and the trucks that are needed.
This is a multi day storm. Tomorrow, access to roads will be better but still limited. We are planning on removing snow from municipal parking lots and business districts; that will take place the first half of the week. The priority right now must be intersections and streets.
If you have any snow related issues, please call the City Yard, 781-665-0142.
Thank you for your patience.