Here is a press release from the Sally Frank’s Farmers’ Market.
The market will celebrate National Farmers’ Market Week on August 11. In addition to the offerings of locally produced food, a number of fun activities are planned. We appreciate the continued support from the City of Melrose and our elected officials. Join these ‘guest shoppers’ at this Thursday’s market:
- Alderman Donald Conn, President of the Board of Aldermen, will come to the market and present a proclamation at 3:30.
- Zach Crowley, Chief of Staff, Senator Jason Lewis’s office will be at the market from 3:00 – 5:00.
In his recent press release: “Governor Baker has proclaimed August 7-13, 2016 “Massachusetts Farmers’ Market Week” in recognition of the positive contributions Massachusetts’ farmers’ markets have on agriculture and public health in the Commonwealth. The weeklong event coincides with the 17th National Farmers’ Market Week as the United States Department of Agriculture celebrates the nation’s thousands of farmers’ markets.”
“This week, we celebrate the Commonwealth’s many farmers’ markets, which create economic vitality for hundreds of farms and food producers while supporting local communities. I urge all Massachusetts residents to visit their local farmers’ market this week to buy some fresh, local produce and support our hard-working farmers.”
In addition to our ‘guest shoppers’, this week’s market will include the activities below. Check the website for the schedule and details: melrosefarmersmarket.wordpress.com.
- Cooking Demo Amy Rindskopf will create seasonal recipes from the produce and products available at the farmer’s market.
- Well Barre will sponsor a Ballet Barre Bootcamp in the Park (Demo Class) taught by dancer and instructor Katharina Schier.
- Yoga in the Park Barre and Soul Yoga will lead free outdoor yoga classes at the park.
- Ask a Master Gardener Trudy Macdonald and Maureen Pritzker, Massachusetts Master Gardeners, will be at the market to answer questions you might have about taking care of your garden.
- Music by Paul Harty, a regular on the North Shore music scene, who performs with a wide variety of musicians and in many styles.
- Local Artists: KLC Quilting, a local business offering quilting products and services, and Gracie’s Gunnies who crafts one-of-a-kind market/shoulder bags and cross-body bags.
- Farms and Food vendors: Bagel Land of Winchester, Deano’s Pasta, Dick’s Market Garden, Foxboro Cheese, Jennifer Lee’s Gourmet Bakery, Laszlo Family Farm, Oakdale Farm, Popover Lady, Pour Man’s CoffeeRoasted Granola, Roberto’s Seafood, Samira’s Homemade , Shady Pine Farm, Soup Guy, Suzanne Goodwin
We will continue to accept SNAP and match up to $10. We also accept WIC & Senior Farmers Market Coupons. If you haven’t received your $5 coupon for WIC and Senior Coupons, inquire at the market table.
The mission of the Sally Frank’s Farmers’ Market, a non-profit organization, is to provide all Melrose-area residents with the opportunity to buy and learn about nutritious, locally grown and produced foods. The Market promotes local farms, organizations and businesses and builds community while contributing to a sustainable future. For information about scheduling, vendors or to volunteer, please go to the website: melrosefarmersmarket.wordpress.com.