Did you know the City of Melrose offers a variety of discounts and tax exemptions for senior and low income residents? Mayor Rob Dolan invites you to come to an informational open house either October 26th or November 2nd at Memorial Hall. Come meet with City Departments to see if you qualify and also sign up for a wide variety of discounts that include:
- Senior Property Tax Exemption (Age 65+)
- Water & Sewer Discounts (Age 65+ or income eligible)
- Solid Waste Fee Discounts (Age 65+ or income eligible)
- Property Tax Work Program (Age 60+)
- Veteran Financial and Medical Benefits / Assistance
- Help Understanding Your Energy Bill
This is an initiative that was delivered as part of Mayor Dolan’s 2016 Inauguration and highlighted in the recent needs assessment completed by the Council on Aging. “Our goal with the open house is to educate and enroll eligible citizens in our discount programs for water, sewer, property taxes, and solid waste, as well as veterans’ benefits. We invite all citizens to meet personally and confidentially with a City Hall team in a ‘one-stop shopping’ environment to help eligible citizens continue to live and thrive in our community,” said Mayor Dolan.
- What residents should bring:
- Photo Identification
- Recent Tax Bill
- 2015 Tax Return (Social Security Statement if no tax return)
- Electric Bill
- For veteran’s assistance please bring DD214
The sign up sessions will take place on Wednesday, October 26th from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and then on Wednesday, November 2nd from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m..
Both will be held at Memorial Hall located at 590 Main Street in Melrose. Residents who wish to apply need only to attend one session.