We have been informed today that Eversource Energy will be delivering a large transformer from Everett to Woburn that will briefly pass through Melrose. This will occur late Wednesday evening/early Thursday morning and briefly close the road on Main Street (Malden line to West Wyoming) and West Wyoming Ave (Main Street to Stoneham line). The approved route and delivery is being coordinated by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation and the Massachusetts State Police.
Below are additional details and a map of the route courtesy of Eversource:
On or about March 1, 2017, a large piece of equipment, called an autotransformer, will be delivered to Eversource’s Woburn Substation on Pond Street in Woburn, MA. The autotransformer will be moved from a dock on Beecham Road in Everett, MA, via a transport trailer, into the Substation.
The delivery route traverses the towns of Everett, Chelsea, Malden, Melrose, Stoneham, Medford, Arlington, and Winchester, and will take several hours to complete.
Here are some quick facts about the delivery:
- The Massachusetts Department of Transportation has approved the route and the equipment that will be used to support the move.
- A “six-deck-six” (12-axle) trailer will haul the autotransformer from the dock to the Substation.
- The autotransformer weighs approx. 467,000 pounds and is 35 feet long, 13 feet wide and 18 feet tall.
- Maximum speed of the hauler is 5 mph.
- The approved route from Everett to Woburn Substation is 16.7 miles long with an estimated travel time of 6 to 9 hours.
- Massachusetts State Police will be escorting the trailer throughout the delivery.
- The autotransformer delivery will be conducted between the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., and will include a State Police escort and certified safety personnel, in accordance with the MassDOT permit conditions. This schedule is approximate and subject to change.
If you have questions about the move, please call the Eversource Transmission Information Line at 1-800-793-2202, or send an email to TransmissionInfo@eversource.com.