The City has been informed today by the MBTA that they will be repairing and replacing the train tracks across Franklin Street near Belmont Street in the Highlands. Work will start at 10 p.m. on Friday, April 28, 2017 and will continue through Sunday evening, with completion by 10 p.m.
The work is required in order to maintain the safe travel of trains through this area and re-establish full service for the Monday morning commute. This is very similar to the project completed by the MBTA last year at the Wyoming Station.
Please note that Franklin Street will be closed in its entirety (in both directions) at this railroad crossing in order to complete this work. However, access to all businesses will be maintained during the weekend and all municipal parking lots in the Highlands will be accessible.
Melrose Police and MBTA officers will be posted throughout the detour in order to assist with traffic flow. Message boards have also been placed in order to educate commuters in and around the area. In general, the following should be anticipated:
- Franklin Street will be closed at Tremont Street for westbound travel (towards Stoneham). All westbound travel will be detoured to the Lynn Fells Parkway then Perkins Street and back to Franklin.
- Franklin Street will be closed at Belmont Street for eastbound travel. Eastbound vehicles will be detoured down Belmont Street to Melrose Street to Tremont Street and back to Franklin. Only eastbound travel will be allowed beneath the bridge on Melrose Street.
- Franklin Street will be detoured at Vinton Street for truck traffic travelling in an easterly direction (towards Main Street).
- Greenwood Street truck traffic will be detoured westerly toward Stoneham.
- Traffic travelling onto Franklin from Chipman Avenue will have to turn left and travel towards Main Street only.
- All businesses will be open and accessible by foot within the detour limits.
- All municipal parking will remain open in the Highlands Business District during this time with the exception of Marvin Road.